This savory vegetarian pumpkin soup I improvized the other day that was quite the hit.
- 1 medium size pumpkin (can substitute a squash, such as hubbard or kabocha)
- 8 oz of small golden potatoes
- 8 oz of oyster mushrooms
- 16 oz of vegetable broth
- 2 medium size white onions
- 8 oz. seitan chorizo crumbles
- 4 cloves garlic
- fresh sage
- fresh rosemary
- roasted vegetable seasoning
- vegetable oil
- Wash vegetables.
- Remove seeds and skin from pumpkin. Cut into 1 inch cubes. Cut potatoes into similar size.
- Heat a pan with vegetable oil. Cook pumpkin and potatoes. Add salt, pepper, and roasted vegetable seasoning. Cook until soft, about 25 minutes.
- Dice onion. Mince garlic, sage, and rosemary, removing stems. Cut oyster mushrooms into strips.
- In a large soup pot, add vegetable oil and cook onions until soft, about 5 minutes.
- Add oyster mushrooms, sage, and rosemary. Cook until mushrooms have reduced in volume to about half, about 10 to 15 minutes.
- Once mushrooms are cooked, add the seitan, cooked pumpkin and potatoes, and vegetable broth to the soup. Simmer and stir for another 10 minutes, until ingredients integrated.
- Add salt, pepper, and other spices to taste.